If you're looking for a quick, easy, healthy "treats" recipe to make with the family, this healthier version of coconut ice will hit the spot!
With less than 10 ingredients, including my organic, plant-based drink mix - Super Scoop, this recipe packs a healthy punch as it combines natural ingredients such as strawberries and coconut together with over 50 fruit and veggie extracts found in Super Scoop.
An additional bonus is that it's perfect to make with the kids, because the dough resembles play dough - and is easy to mould and work with.
If I'm craving something sweet, but don't want to veer off my healthy lifestyle, just a small block of this coconut ice is sweet enough to curb that craving. Best of all, it's healthier for the kids too, so you can rest assured they're eating healthier treats, and you know exactly what's in it!
Give this recipe a try, you won't be disappointed.
Super coconut ice
Makes 9 to 12 bars (size dependent)
- 1 scoop Very Berry Super Scoop
- 1 cup strawberries (about 12-15 strawberries)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup honey, maple syrup or agave
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp coconut essence (if you have it)
Optional: A few blocks of sugar-free and/or dark chocolate to drizzle over the hardened bars.
- Line a baking tray with some cling film and set side.
- Add the strawberries to a blender or food processor and blend until a purée is formed.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut essence (if you have it) and sweetener to a mug and pop into the microwave for about 30 seconds. Mix together.
- Pour this into the strawberries and mix again for a few seconds.
- Add the desiccated coconut and coconut flour and mix again until a dough is formed. This dough should resemble that of ‘playdough’.
- Press tightly into the baking tray and pop into the fridge to set, for at least 3 to 4 hours, or into the freezer for an hour.
- Once hardened, slice into pieces.
- Keep these bars stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- If using the chocolate, melt and drizzle over the bars.
Fresh, frozen, or tinned strawberries can be used. If frozen, defrost them slightly beforehand. If tinned, drain and rinse thoroughly.