Who doesn’t want to tuck into a comforting lasagna? It’s one of my all-time favourite family meals, but as a vegetarian, who also wants to skip some of the unnecessary fat and calories you’ll find in a traditional recipe, I wanted to create a healthier, vegetarian lasagne that tastes just as good. And that the whole family will love, kids included.
The good news? This vegetarian lasagna recipe does just that! The roasted butternut, paired with lentils makes the perfect, hearty base and the white sauce is made with skim milk and less Parmesan cheese, so it’s not as rich as some of the other lasagna recipes you’ll find.
This recipe comes straight from my My Body Back recipe book, which is packed with over 100 healthy recipes just like this one, including snacks and desserts too.
This vegetarian lasagna may take a while to prep, but it’s worth the effort, believe me.
Roasted butternut and lentil lasagna
For the lentil and butternut filling
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Worcester sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) Vegetable stock
- 500g butternut, cut into small cubes and roasted
- 500g brown lentils, cooked
- 10ml fresh coriander, chopped
- Pinch herb salt and ground pepper
- 200g lasagne sheets (1 box)
- Fresh coriander, chopped (before serving)
For the white sauce
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) cake flour
- 500ml skim milk
- Fresh coriander, chopped
- 60g parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Rub the butternut cubes with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast until just soft (25-30 minutes)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan and sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add chopped tomato, tomato paste, Worcester sauce, brown sugar and stock.
- Add the roasted butternut and lentils.
- Stir in chopped fresh coriander and season to taste with herb salt and pepper
To make the sauce
- Melt the butter, add the cake flour and make a roux.
- Remove from the stove and add the milk slowly whilst stirring.
- Return to the stove and allow to thicken. Once thickened add the grated fresh coriander and Parmesan cheese.
- Use an oven proof dish (+/- 17 to 26 cm).
- Spoon half the white sauce onto the base of the dish, then layer with lasagna sheets.
- Add lentil mixture and then again lasagne sheet on top, and lastly a layer of white sauce.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C until light brown on top (about 20 – 30 minutes).
- Before serving, sprinkle with fresh chopped coriander.