Hearty rice salad
Amp up your next weekend braai with this hearty rice salad. The fruity bits and fresh herbs really give it a delicious flavour! Although you can use any rice for this recipe, I found that wild rice tastes the best as it goes brilliantly with the pecan nuts.
- 350g wild rice
- 150g nuts (like pecans or walnuts), chopped
- 1 handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 80g dried apricots, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions until tender. Drain, then allow to cool.
- On a dry pan on the stove or a baking tray in the oven, dry roast your nuts until golden and crisp – about 5-8 minutes. Watch closely so they don’t burn! Set aside and to cool.
- Combine all ingredients then season generously with olive oil, salt and pepper.