For me, every season is soup season! I just love how simple and nutritious soups are, and they’re ideal to eat on the go. Plus, you can experiment with different stocks, veggies, herbs, spices and flavour combinations.
This hearty bean and vegetable soup recipe is one of my favourites and it’s straight out of my Elimin8 Programme. I can happily eat this all week, especially if it’s served with a delicious seed or rye bread.
I tend to make up a batch of this when I can, we eat some and I freeze the rest in portions which makes life that much simpler.
- 2 Tbsp olive / coconut oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- ½ tsp Himalayan rock salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 large baby marrows, sliced
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 can tomato purée
- 1 Tbsp xylitol
- 5 cups prepared veggie stock
- 2 cans beans of your choice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups kale (or other sturdy green), chopped
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and prep veggies.
- Add the oil, onion, garlic and carrot. Season with salt, pepper, and spices and stir again to coat.
- Next add marrows chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, xylitol and veggie stock. Bring soup to a simmer and then reduce heat to low and cover.
- Continue cooking for 15 minutes, then add beans, another pinch each salt and pepper, and stir.
- If the soup starts boiling, be sure to lower heat to just a light simmer. Cook for another 10 minutes or more, add the kale, cover and cook for a further five minutes before serving.