As a busy working mom, I’ve always been a fan of eating small, regular meals and snacks throughout the day, as opposed to three large meals a day. The truth is, I’m always on the go, so it’s difficult to sit down to a meal in the day, however, we do try to eat dinner together as family – as there are many benefits to this.
So, I like to munch on healthy, nutritious snacks throughout the day. I never overdo it, though, just 2 snacks between meals is more than enough. If you’re craving something sweet, you have to try these delicious chocolate superfood energy bites.
They’re packed with energy-dense ingredients such as nuts and dates, and they’re ideal for a shot of goodness thanks to my Super Scoop – which contains 50 organic fruit and veg extracts such as mushrooms, barley grass, beets, alfalfa and all the greens you couldn’t possibly eat in one day.
How to use Super Scoop in this recipe
Good news- you can get my Super Scoop throughout lockdown and beyond, as it’s deemed an essential item for immunity! Also, you can use my Raw Cacao, Very Vanilla or Very Berry flavour in this recipe- they all work, it just depends on your personal taste and preferences.
I personally like to use the Raw Cacao flavour- for an extra chocolatey kick! If you’d like to add an extra dose of protein (especially if you like these after an intense workout), I’d suggest adding a scoop of Biogen Plant Based Protein (Vegan Protein Blend) to the recipe. If it’s a little dry, simply add a tablespoon of water or a little extra coconut oil.
Chocolate Superfood Energy Bites
Makes 16 medium-sized balls
- 1 scoop Raw Cacao Super Scoop
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup mixed nuts (almonds and cashew nuts are delicious)
Optional: Sugar-free and/or dark chocolate and goji berries
- Add the nuts to a blender or food processor and process until relatively fine – not yet flour.
- Put the dates in a microwave-friendly bowl and heat for 45 seconds. This helps to soften the dates.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the chopped nuts and process until a sticky dough starts to form (If the dough is too sticky, refrigerate for 15 minutes or add an extra tbsp of cocoa).
- Roll the dough to form balls.
- Top with a drizzle of chocolate and goji berries if you’re using them.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.