There’s no doubt that I love chickpeas. They’re tasty, filling, versatile and pack a proper protein-punch! And… they taste delicious in this spicy butternut and chickpea tagine, which is one of my all-time favourite comfort meals.
The mix of tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms with the cumin, cinnamon, garlic and ginger, adds such a lovely blend of flavours to this dish. When I make this tagine, I normally cook an extra batch and freeze it – so that my family and I can enjoy a few more healthy lunches or dinners in the week.
Serve it on a bed of rice, quinoa or wholewheat couscous to soak up all the flavour!
This tagine comes straight from my popular Elimin8 Cleanse Programme, which is a 10-day gentle liver cleanse designed to help your body eliminate all toxins, while putting back all the right stuff.
Spicy butternut and chickpea tagine
- 20ml extra virgin cold-pressed olive, divided
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g butternut, peeled and cubed
- Big pinch cinnamon powder
- Big pinch ginger powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 250ml prepared vegetable stock
- 2 tins tomatoes, chopped and peeled
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) tomato paste
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- Heat 10ml of the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the mushrooms until soft then remove from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the onion, garlic and red pepper until soft.
- Add the butternut and allow to fry for about 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon, ginger and cumin and fry for 30 seconds stirring continuously to release the flavour and aroma.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes and tomato paste, stir well then allow to simmer on a medium heat with the lid on stirring occasionally for about 25 minutes or until the butternut is soft.
- Remove the lid and add the sautéed mushrooms and the chickpeas and allow to simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season (to taste) with salt and black pepper.