Recipe: Wholewheat blueberry crumpets
Making crumpets at home is simple and completely satisfying – it’s also a great way to get your children involved in the cooking process. The only problem? Some crumpet recipes are packed with refined sugar and saturated fat which means they’re not necessarily the healthiest breakfast snack for your little ones.
These delicious and health-conscious wholewheat blueberry crumpets not only taste good but are friendly on your waistline, too. And what’s better than peace of mind for any parent knowing your little ones will be satisfied and filled with nutritious goodness?
- 1 ⅓ cups wholewheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 cup milk of your choice, plus more if necessary
- Pinch Himalayan rock salt
- 1 tbsp xylitol
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Coconut oil for frying
- Honey, cinnamon and Greek yoghurt for serving
- Combine flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, salt, xylitol and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- You may need to use more milk than 1 cup.
- Stir in flour, add blueberries, and stir to incorporate.
- Preheat a pan over medium heat, and add coconut oil.
- Add a big tablespoon of batter at a time to the hot pan.
- Cook until bubbly, about 1 ½ minutes. Turn, and continue cooking until golden brown.
Check out the video below: